Monday, June 17, 2013

Recycling.... Upcycling...Useful Finds.....



Sometimes I'll see an object that just needs to be reused, not quite ready to be discarded .......yet.....

Here are some of my finds that I re-purposed for quirky decorative touches around our gardens and home.  


The chair I picked from our neighbor's scrap pile, he was going to burn it, yikes!  The finish has worn off over the years but it is still solid.  The basket and cute straw hat was a find from my mother-in-law's garage, the coco liner was worn out and had holes from a hanging basket.  I dug up a japanese painted fern from my perennial garden, put it in a clay pot and placed it in the liner.  

Recycled and re-purposed.








Another small child's chair I found by the roadside that was to be picked up with the trash.  The chippy paint gives it a primitive look, the old Wheeling watering can is from the 1960's. 

Recycled and re-purposed. 






Old enamelware kitchen pieces make a happy nest for hens and chicks.  The rectangle refrigerator bin and strainer were picked from my mother-in-law's garage, buried beneath a mountain of, well, stuff!  The strainer holes provide good drainage for the plants.   

The coco liners were old ones I had saved that are shredded and have holes in them.  

Recycled and re-purposed.





Below is a prim flag I made from old chair dowels.  The chair was also from our neighbor's to be burned scrap pile that I rescued and deconstructed.  You can see the ends on the right side of the flag that were originally placed in the chair seat.  Different dowel lengths add to the eclectic charm of this find. 

I drilled holed in each dowel, ran wire through the secured at both ends.  Screw eyes were placed on the top and I hung it on our fence.  This was made several years ago, each year a little more paint chips off.  

Recycled and re-purposed.





Although my perennials are growing quickly this year, you can still see the recycled white "fence" at the back of the garden bed.  
These two sections were originally decorative window shutters from an old shed that was to be torn down.  I painted them with white enamel outdoor paint and have them secured in the ground with pieces of bent wire hangers cut in a long U shape.  I take them in for the winter and have had them in the garden beds for many years. 

Recycled and re-purposed.
















This last picture is not a recycled item but I had as idea this year to add a solar light to our large urn on the front porch.  The light was only $1 from our local hardware store and looks so pretty at night glowing through the plants after soaking up the sunshine during the day.